Read and Download book Notes and Queries, Vol. 5 in PDF, EPub, Mobi, Kindle online. Free book TNotes and Queries, Vol. 5. This book was released on 2015-07-03 with total page 654 pages. Book excerpt: Excerpt from Notes and Queries, Vol. 5: A Medium of Inter-Communication for Literary Men, Artists, Antiquaries, Genealogists, Etc;, January June, 1852 Herbert says, both seem to have been used accidentally. Puttenham, in his Arte of English Poesie, 4to., 1589, in his chapter of "Cesure," says: - "The ancient reformers of language invented these names of pauses, one of lesse leasure than another, and such several intermissions of sound, to serve (besides easement to the breath) for a treble distinction of sentences or parts of speach, as they happened to be more or lesse perfect in sense. The shortest pause, or intermission, they called comma, as who would say a piece of a speech cut off. The second they called colon, not a piece, but as it were a member, for his larger length, because it occupied twice as much time as the comma. The third they called periodus, for a complement or full pause, and as a resting place and perfection of so much former speech as had been uttered, and from whence they needed not to passe any further, unless it were to renew more matter to enlarge the tale." The "three pauses, comma, colon, and periode," with the interrogative point, appear to have been all which were known to Puttenham. Puttenham's Arte of Poesie has been already mentioned as printed in 1589. In the Countess of Pembroke's Arcadia, printed by W. Ponsonby in the very next year, 1590, the semicolon may be seen in the first page. A book printed at Edinburgh in 1594 has not the semicolon; the use of it had not, apparently, arrived in Scotland. That an earlier use of the semicolon had been made upon the Continent is probable. It occurs in the Sermone di Beato Leone Papa, 4to., Flor. 1485, the last point in the book. The interrogative point, or note of interrogation, probably derived from the Greek, occurs frequently in Wilson's Arte of Rhetorique, 4to. 1553. Some reader of your "Notes And Queries," better informed than myself, may possibly throw further light upon the English adoption of stops in literature. Henry Ellis. Preaching From Texts In Cornwall. Your correspondents have already pointed out the very early prevalence of this usage, but the inquiry has brought to my recollection an instance which incidentally affords some curious information respecting the several languages formerly current in the western parts of this island. It was lately published, among numerous other extracts, from the registers of the see of Exeter, in the valuable Monasticon Di cesis Exoniensis of Dr. Oliver, pp. 11, 12. In 1336, Grandison, then Bishop of Exeter, made a visitation of his diocese. At the western extremity of it, is situate the deanery or collegiate church of St. Burian, which has always claimed to be exempt from episcopal visitation, or at least from ordinary jurisdiction. It is probable that, on one occasion of this disputed exemption, the parishioners of this remote district at the Land's End had given offence to the Bishop or his functionaries. In company with the Lords Mortimer, D'Awney, and Bloyhon (probably an ancestor of your correspondent Blowen), and a large staff of archdeacons, chancellors, canons, chaplains, and familiars, the Bishop visited the church of St. Burian, and obtained from the parishioners a solemn promise of future obedience to his spiritual authority. The promise was made by the greater parishioners in English and French, and by the rest in Cornish, which the rector of St. Just (a parish which has lately obtained some celebrity by the Gorham controversy) interpreted to his lordship. Having absolved them, he then preached a long sermon on the text, "Eratis sicut oves errantes conversi pastorem episcopum animarum vestrarum" which the rector of St. Just then interpreted in Cornish. It is not stated in the record what language was used by the Bishop in his sermon; but if he preached, as one of his successors, Bisho"